Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Writing the Love Story: Jim and Pam

Just a short post tonight.

I'll be honest, I love a good love story.  The depth and breadth of what may be considered a love story is astounding. The things people have done for and out of love. The things endured and surmounted.  War stories, ghost stories, desperate fights for survival, wherever there are people, there's always a love story to be found. Most fiction writers write about people at the center of powerful and dramatic events. The love stories that they write center on heroes and heroines, people on whom the fate of the world, or at least the world of the story rest.

What I like about the love story between Jim and Pam from "The Office", is that they don't fit into that mold, and are all the more appealing for that. They're just two coworkers in a utterly unremarkable business.  It was one of the more realistic love stories I've ever seen, because I've seen that dance before in my own work place happening to people I know. There's all the elements of mutual attraction but bad timing, Emotional hurdles to be crossed. People that everyone can see belong together finally getting together, which doesn't happen as often as it should. What I take from Jim and Pam's' story is simply this; Love is not the domain of the mighty alone. A peasant may love as deeply and completely as a king. Love is not dependent on being important or powerful or beautiful. You just have to be sincere. I find that a very hopeful thing.






No comments:

Post a Comment